Young scientists, engineers, designers, and mathematicians will love STEM toys. These activities are a great way to learn and play at the same time, often leading to a child’s deeper understanding of the world around them and confidence in their own ideas and imagination.
As you shop for STEM toys and kits, it’s good to check the recommended age range and safety considerations, especially if you are looking for young children. You should also consider the education value and interest, as well as any extra tools or environmental impact that your purchase may have.
5 best STEM toys for 7 year olds of 2021
STEM toys fit a wide range of toy types, and the best thing about them is that kids can learn about Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, all while having fun. It hardly feels like learning at that point. Even better, these will keep your 7 year old busy and engaged for hours on end.
Marble Genius Marble Run Super Set
The Marble Run Super Set comes as an 85 piece kit with 19 different types of pieces. Additionally, there is an app to help kids get started with guides and fun challenges. This toy is particularly great for kids who are interested in engineering and math. It ranks among the best toys for kindergartners. There is no one way to build a spectacular run, so your kids can really get creative with this one. It’s all fun and games until the structure topples over! Thankfully this comes with three large bases and five other regular-sized bases to help ensure maximum stability.
Price: $45.50 VIEW AT AMAZON
About this product
- 85 complete see-through Marble Run pieces in 19 distinct styles allow you to see all the action (we don’t count pieces like everyone else – these are actual complete pieces and not parts that have to be added together
- Solid plastic pieces that stick together and are easy for kids to play with
- 8 solid bases including 3 large bases to ensure maximum stability (large base designs vary slightly per included pieces image)
- Free Marble Genius Instruction App with purchase that includes 9 step-by-step guides, fun challenges, and regularly updated content (iOS or Android)
- Compatible with Marbulous Marble Run Toys including our Marble Genius Marble Run Starter Set (60 pc.), Extreme Set (125 pc.), Booster Set (20 pc.), & 9 Accessory Sets. Standard Toy Size Marbles (5/8 inch or smaller) work with this
- set (65 Glass Marbles Included)
Lego 60228 City Space Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control
You were born to explore the universe! Build and inspire the next generation of astronauts with LEGO® Space rockets and vehicles – Let’s Go!
Give young space adventurers a treat with a NASA-inspired toy rocket launch set. This awesome LEGO® City 60228 Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control kids’ toy features a modular, multi-stage rocket with cockpit, booster and payload storage modules, and a monorail system with stops at the rocket, research area with geode retrieval training and launch control tower. There’s also a launchpad with opening tower arms, rover with articulated, new-for-June-2019 grappling arm and launch control tower with detachable window section, fold-out function and a countdown function. Kids can use a mobile device as a screen for interactive play opportunities with the City Explorers app. Give any LEGO builder an amazing building experience with Instructions PLUS, available in the LEGO Life app for smartphones and tablets
Price: $80 VIEW AT AMAZON
About this product
- Includes 6 LEGO® City minifigures: 2 astronauts, 2 scientists, Launch Director and a ground crew technician, plus a robot figure.
- Features a modular, multi-stage NASA-inspired rocket that can be customized in different ways with the booster, payload storage and 2-minifigure cockpit modules, rover with articulated, new-for-June-2019 grappling arm, space telescope with folding solar panels and magnifying glass, plus a monorail system with multi-stop track and 2 cars.
- The detailed toy playset includes an opening launch control tower with removable window, 2 desks with small screens, large screens for countdown and monitoring of the telescope and space to insert a mobile device, as well as a launchpad with opening tower arms to launch the rocket, plus a ground research area with a tile with secret symbol
- Accessory elements include 2 new-for-June-2019 geodes, 2 helmets with blue visors, a magnifying glass, scanner element, tile with secret symbol, circular saw, wrench, cell phone, 4 water elements and a camera, plus a brick separator.
- Lower the gates to stop the monorail cars along the route and help climb aboard or exit a car.
- Aim the robot’s scanner over the tile in the research area to see the secret symbol.
- Set a mobile device into the launch control tower to experience the interactive play options available when connected to the LEGO® City Explorers app.
- Drop the tower arms on the launchpad to launch the rocket and head to space.
- Use the LEGO® Life app to access the intuitive Instructions PLUS building instructions. Help even younger builders through the building process, with easy-to-use zoom, rotate and ghost-mode functions to visualize their creations as they go.
- Download the LEGO® Life app at the iOS or Android app store. Ask your parents’ permission before going online.
- Rocket standing measures over 16” (42cm) high, 4” (11cm) wide and 2” (6cm) deep.
- Space telescope with wings closed measures over 3” (9cm) long and 1 (3cm) wide.
- Rover with arm retracted measures over 1” (5cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
- Launch Control closed measures over 7” (18cm) high, 5” (13cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep.
- Launchpad with closed tower arms measures over 9” (24cm) high, 4” (12cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
- Monorail measures over 1” (3cm) high, 3” (10cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.
- Monorail track measures over 3” (8cm) high,14” (36 cm) deep and 18” (47cm) wide.
60,000+ Solutions STEM Puzzle Game! Roll the Dice & Race Your Opponent to Fill The Grid by Using Different Shapes!
The aim of each of the 62,208 possible puzzles is to complete the square using the nine coloured shapes, once the seven ‘blockers’ have been positioned. There may be times when it seems impossible, but there will ALWAYS be at least one solution… and that’s why it’s called The Genius Square!
Each player receives a Genius Square grid (two are included) and a set of nine coloured shapes, plus seven ‘blocker’ pieces. Roll all seven of the dice together and place a ‘blocker’ piece into the squares matching the seven co-ordinates that appear on the dice. Now race your opponent to fill every other space on the grid using the nine shapes.
There are 62,208 possible combinations in which the dice can fall. Using a specially devised computer programme, we have confirmed that all of them have at least one possible solution. Some combinations will be easy to solve, some much harder. It’s all in the luck of the roll of the dice.
As soon as somebody finishes first, roll the dice and play again! You can play alone and challenge yourself against the clock!
Price: $27.99 VIEW AT AMAZON
About this product
- 60, 000+ POSSIBILITIES IN THE BOX: STEM puzzle game with the combination of dice, location of the blockers, and set of color shapes, there are 62, 208 POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS in the 6X6 grid! Think about it… what is the possibility you will beat your opponent?
- GAME OF THE YEAR: Product Of the Year / Educational Product Of the Year / Top Toy Award Winners! Well-made table game that includes 2 grids, 7 dice, 2 sets of 7 blockers, and 2 sets of 9 colored shapes. Easy to travel with, easy to teach and learn, and simply enjoy the time! This puzzle game is SIMPLY GENIUS!
- EASY TO LEARN, BE FAST TO WIN: Promotes problem solving and motor manipulation skill training. Roll the seven dice together and place a blocker in each of the co-ordinates that appear on the faces. Now. . . RACE to fill every other space on the grid! Speed up your brain and hands! Who’ll win?!
- SHARE THE JOY WITH SOMEONE, OR ENJOY ALONE: You can rack your brains against friends and family to see who fill out all the spaces first! Or you can challenge yourself against the clock! Either way… be the GENIUS one!
- FIND THAT ONE SOLUTION…OR MORE THAN ONE?: This board game is confirmed that all of arrangements have AT LEAST one possible solution for each, and maybe even more! Some are very easy, and some are much harder. Find a solution first, then challenge yourself to find another one… and… another one?
Creativity for Kids Grow ‘N Glow Terrarium Kit for Kids
The Creativity for Kids Grow ‘N Glow Terrarium Kit for Kids is one of those super fun gift ideas for kids. It allows kids to be creative in how they design their terrarium, learn to responsibly care for something, watch and learn about how plants grow, and have fun while doing it.
The terrarium itself starts growing in 3-4 days and comes with everything necessary to make a gorgeous terrarium. Even better, this toy allows for enjoyment during the day, and at night, with the glowing sand and glow-in-the-dark stickers.
Price: $13.49 VIEW AT AMAZON
About this product
- GROW YOUR OWN TERRARIUM – Explore the wonder of nature and science with the Grow ‘N Glow Terrarium Kit! This indoor activity for kids allows you to craft, plant, water and grow your own mini ecosystem. Just add water for a unique science experience!
- SCIENCE KITS FOR KIDS – Includes everything a young botanist needs for two plant life cycles! Science kit features: plastic mason-style jar, potting mix (vermiculite), organic chia and wheat grass seeds, glow-in-the-dark forest figurines and more!
- WATCH IT GLOW – Watch your terrarium glow and grow! Add dimension to your DIY terrarium with translucent glow-in-the-dark star and constellation stickers that will light up your mini garden at night!
- ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS – The perfect STEAM activity that mixes science and art. Create your own terrarium while learning responsibility and nurturing. Your terrarium will begin to grow in as little as 3-4 days. All seeds are from and packaged in the USA
- GREAT GIFTS FOR KIDS – Since 1976, Creativity for Kids has proudly made fun and creative experiences today to nurture children’s confidence for life. This garden kit for kids features non-toxic arts and craft supplies and is recommended for ages 6+
Klutz LEGO Crazy Action Contraptions Craft Kit
The Klutz LEGO Crazy Craft Kit allows for building 16 high-performance projects with more than 100 LEGO pieces. It can be used to create things such as vehicles, launchers, and games. Because of its versatility, this product is great to add to your list of gift ideas for the younger kids. One of the biggest draws to this kit is how it can teach kids about mechanical devices and how they work. In addition to the 16 outlined projects, children can use this kit as a way to let the creative juices flow.
Price: $99.99 VIEW AT AMAZON
About this product
- Parents choice award winner
- Includes every brick, gear & Axle you need to create 16 unique projects
- Comes with 105 LEGO Bricks
- Includes a 50 page instructional book with Klutz Certified crystal-clear instructions
- 1. 5+ million copies sold
- Recommended for children ages 7+