Hackintosh Instruments of the Commerce
See half two on coding your App.
Adore it or hate it, it’s robust to argue in regards to the success of the Apple App Retailer. Whereas this enterprise could be a profitable money cow enterprise mannequin for Apple, how does enterprise fare for the app developer? Fairly good, it seems.
One of many poster youngsters for profitable app growth is Joel Comm. Or, as he’s higher recognized, the developer of iFart. The gross sales claims for this little app blew away the competitors, with gross sales of 113,885 downloads throughout a two-week interval in December 2008.
These are some fairly sobering statistics to digest whereas standing within the unemployment line. So what’s a poor (learn: actually poor) developer to do? Why, make your personal app, proper? Not so quick, bucko.
Making an Apple iPhone/iPod Contact app is not a enterprise that must be undertaken frivolously. There are two important investments that you simply should be prepared to make:
- Monetary funding: you will want an Intel-based Mac pc with Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard for creating your app, in addition to a few check units (ideally each an iPhone and an iPod Contact). Plus, you have to be a registered member of the Apple iPhone Developer Program, which prices $99 for the fundamental version.
- Time funding: even the best iPhone app will take a substantial period of time to develop. Sure, you possibly can blow a easy app out your posterior in about two weeks’ time, however a real gross sales contender may take a few months for growth, testing, and distribution.
Granted, there are a few corners that you possibly can minimize for lowering growth prices. You can be a rogue developer and rely solely on the iPhone SDK iPhone Simulator on your app testing. You can harvest the intensive library of Apple pattern apps on your code. You can simply “blow in your arm” on your app content material. Even in any case of those cost-saving efforts, nonetheless, you’re nonetheless going to wish an Intel-based Mac and a subscription to the Apple iPhone Developer Program.
Hackintosh mini Me
First issues first, although; let’s construct a machine that’s in a position to help the iPhone SDK app growth atmosphere. No, we aren’t going to create the unlawful type of “Hackintosh,” a non-Apple-branded Mac OS X clone pc — fairly, we’re going to bundle the lowest-possible-cost Mac pc growth platform. Be forewarned, this undertaking will void your guarantee.
My first try at creating an iPhone app dev system was housed on a 16GB CompactFlash media card. There are a lot of websites that can information you thru this course of. Sadly, this method wasn’t steady sufficient to reliably code a serious iPhone app.
My second try at creating an iPhone app dev system was a whole success. Moreover, the funding (on my half) was minimal, as a result of I already had most of the elements readily available. Right here is the entire laundry checklist for constructing your personal Apple-based iPhone app dev system Apple-based from scratch.
TIME: 6 hours
COST: $923.77 [Mac mini w/2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, keyboard, mouse, and monitor]
- Apple Mac mini (Intel mannequin ONLY) (B&H Photograph #APMM18C; $574.95)
- Western Digital 250GB onerous drive (Amazon.com #WD2500BEVS; $60.98)
- (2) Kingston 1GB PC2-5300 SDRAM (Amazon.com #KVR667D2SO/1GR; $25.98)
- TRENDnet USB to PS/2 converter (Amazon.com #TU-PS2; $8.87) [NOTE: this cable is occasionally “flaky” during recovery from Mac OS X “sleep.” You might need to unplug the keyboard and reinsert the PS/2 plug for recovery.]
- IBM mouse (BG Micro #ACS1422; $2.99) [NOTE: although, “new” these mice vary in quality. One of mine failed out of the box.]
- Fujitsu keyboard (salvaged from HSC #80797; $99.00) or attempt: (All Electronics #KBD-22; $5.00) or this: (BG Micro #ACS1516; $5.99)
- Lilliput 7-inch touchscreen monitor (CarLCD.internet #619GL-70NP/C/T; $245.00) NOTE: Certain, a 24-inch monitor ($349) can be a lot nicer, however this lil’ ol’ monitor offers a touchscreen enter, which could be helpful throughout testing with the iPhone SDK iPhone Simulator. You may obtain the Mac OS X Intel driver for this touchscreen monitor from EETI.
- OWC Mercury SuperDrive optical drive (MacSales; $89.99) [NOTE: this upgrade is not needed for iPhone app development.]
At a minimal, you will want one iPhone 3G ($199) and one iPod contact ($220). There’s a provision within the Apple iPhone Developer Program, nonetheless, for including exterior “testers” to your dev system.
With a view to make it easier to along with your Mac mini disassembly, obtain these extra images that illustrate the under steps.
1. Flip the Mac mini the other way up on a mushy, protecting floor and open the case. Start the opening operation by fastidiously wedging plastic playing cards between the steel aluminum case and the plastic system element tray. Find the plastic hold-down clips on the element tray and slide a plastic screwdriver or decide down the shaft of every clip. Gently pry on the screwdriver till you hear the clip launch. Repeat the method for all clips, on all 4 sides of the tray.
Hackintosh iPhone App Maker
- Fastidiously separate the system element tray from the outside case.
3. Find the LED energy connector alongside the entrance aspect of the tray and disconnect it.
4. Launch the spring-loaded Wi-Fi antenna and take away the 4 hold-down screws from the corners of the black plastic drive subassembly service.
5. Elevate the service and lay it upside-down alongside the again panel aspect of the tray. Don’t disconnect the brown plastic ribbon cable. From this vantage level, you may extract and change the 2 SDRAM sticks, onerous disk drive, and elective optical drive.
6. Exchange the black plastic drive subassembly service and safe it with one screw. Reconnect the LED energy connector to the entrance aspect of the tray. Do NOT reassemble the Mac mini but.
7. Fastidiously examine the whole Mac mini system element tray. Be certain that all wiring is linked and there aren’t any components, screws, or wires which can be misplaced.
8. Take a look at the Mac mini for correct operation. Join the facility adapter, keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the Mac mini. You will check your modifications earlier than you reseal the Mac mini. Watch out! Plug the Mac’s energy adapter and monitor energy adapter right into a wall outlet and switch in your system. You have to insert the Mac OS X set up disc (e.g., Disc 1) into the Mac mini optical drive instantly after powering on the system. Boot from the disc and use the DVD-based Disk Utility for configuring your new Western Digital onerous drive. It is suggested that you simply use a minimum of two partitions in your new drive (e.g., System & Docs, and many others.). Set up Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard in your Mac mini (Be aware: you would possibly have to obtain a Software program Replace from the Apple Web page).
9. Examine every new element for correct operation. Use System Profiler (e.g., the “About This Mac” menu merchandise below the Apple menu) to confirm your new reminiscence and onerous drive. Additionally, if you happen to added a brand new SuperDrive, confirm the system ID in your optical disc drive. If every thing checks out OK, shut down the Mac mini, disconnect all cords, cables, and adapters, safe the three remaining screws on the black plastic drive subassembly service, and slowly slide the case down over the system element tray. Watch the again panel for correct alignment of the steel shielding clips.
10. Your iPhone app dev system is now prepared for constructing the subsequent nice app.
Keep tuned, our subsequent episode will cowl the set up and operation of the Apple iPhone SDK.