This story initially featured on Saveur.
The key to clinching this recipe, which is tailored from Kate Lebo’s Ebook of Troublesome Fruit, is discovering and pitting contemporary bitter cherries. Extra tart, fragile, and complicated than their sweeter cousins, they’ve a very brief season. Whereas frozen bitter cherries maintain up superbly for baked desserts like pies and crumbles, on this preparation, contemporary fruit will yield far superior outcomes. To protect the form of each the maraschino cherries and your sanity, get a cherry pitter earlier than you start. If desired, reserve the pits to fragrance the boozy soaking liquid with their almond-y aroma.
Yield: makes 9, 8-oz. jars
Time: 1 hour
- 4½ lbs of bitter cherries, stemmed and pitted (about 11 cups), pits reserved (non-obligatory)
- One 750-mL bottle Luxardo maraschino liqueur
- Prep 9 8-ounce glass jars by washing them completely, then drying on a big baking sheet set within the heart of a 250°F oven. When dry, take away from the oven and put aside (they don’t should be scorching for canning). Wash the lids and bands, and set them apart to dry at room temperature. Preserve the oven on.
- In a stockpot over medium-high warmth, mix the cherries and liqueur. Convey simply to a boil, then instantly take away from warmth. Utilizing a slotted spoon, switch the cherries into the reserved jars till there’s about ½ inch of area left in every (don’t overpack the jars—there could also be some leftover cherries). Add 3–5 pits per jar, if desired, then pour liqueur into every jar simply to cowl the cherries, as soon as once more leaving about ½ inch of area. Whereas the cherries are nonetheless scorching, cowl the jars with the lids and screw the bands totally onto the jars so they’re tight, however not so tight you want robust palms to reopen. Return the jars to the baking sheet, switch to the oven, and warmth for quarter-hour.
- Take away the jars from the oven and put aside to chill to room temperature. Test the seals as they cool. If any don’t seal, use these jars first. (The alcohol content material will delay spoilage, however processing to seal will be certain that the cherries last more.) Use instantly or retailer in a cool darkish place for as much as 1 yr. Retailer opened jars within the fridge.