This little gimmick has been in graphics design studios for years: a intelligent solution to carry a wayward menu bar again from a twin monitor setup with out plugging in a second monitor. Basically, by shorting pins 1 (pink video sign out) and 6 (pink floor), and three (blue video sign out) and eight (blue floor) on a 15-pin VGA adapter, you possibly can mislead the PC into — erroneously — detecting the presence of a second monitor. Then it’s only a matter of dragging the menu bar again onto the right show.
That was then; that is now. Utilizing the identical trick, you possibly can allow totally different show modes on the Eee PC. And you’ve got three worth ranges to select from: ghetto (free), discount basement ($3), and deluxe ($5).
TIME: 1 hour
COST: free (ghetto), $2.45 (discount), $4.18 (deluxe)
- KobiConn solder cup male plug, DB-9 shell dimension (Mouser #156-1815-E; $1.80)
- KobiConn black financial system plastic locking hood, DB-9 collection 156 (Mouser #156-2010-E; $.65)
- KobiConn Deluxe zinc chromate metallic hood (Mouser #156-4109; $2.38)
- wire scrap
1. Make a U-turn or two. Bend two brief lengths of scrap wire into U shapes. Plug one U into pins 1 and 6 of the Eee PC VGA adapter. Plug the opposite wire U into pins 3 and eight of the adapter.
Or: 1. Step it up a notch. Solder pins 1 and 6 of the male plug collectively. Likewise, solder pins 3 and eight collectively. Each of those solder joints ought to be made on the inside of the male plug.
2. Come collectively. Assemble the male plug inside your chosen DB-9 hood.
3. Jeepers peepers. Plug your new EZ Desktop Mode Mod into the Eee PC VGA adapter. (This step has already been carried out in Step 1 for ghetto customers.)
EZ Desktop Mode Mod
4. Behold, extra display screen actual property. Begin your Eee PC and launch the Xandros OS. Choose the Settings tab and click on on Desktop Mode. Whereas the decision choices are usually not out there on a inventory Eee PC, with this EZ Desktop Mode Mod you should have 7 selections of display screen decision (starting from 640×350 to 1024×768).
5. The way in which we have been. You may return your Eee PC to its native decision (e.g., 800×480) by rebooting and eradicating the EZ Desktop Mode Mod VGA adapter.
Watch out utilizing the upper decision settings. For instance, at a setting of 800×600 or 1024×768 you’ll lose sight of your taskbar on the backside of the display screen. Additionally, at resolutions decrease than 640×480, the Eee PC will generate an error message that it’s unable to make that”requested change.” To not fear, although: simply unplug the EZ Desktop Mode Mod VGA adapter, restart the Eee PC, and also you’ll be proper again to the default show decision.