Right here’s the situation: You’ve gotten a thousand MP3 music recordsdata sitting on your own home laptop—which is nice while you’re truly sitting at your laptop however so much much less helpful while you’re within the kitchen or lounge. What you want is a devoted gadget in one other room that may pull songs wirelessly out of your PC’s music library and play them via its personal audio system. A number of off-the-shelf merchandise can deal with this activity, corresponding to Logitech’s Squeezebox; sadly, they begin at round $300.
However you possibly can construct your personal remote-control wi-fi streamer for lower than 100 bucks utilizing nearly any previous Home windows laptop (should you don’t have one gathering mud within the closet, ask your workplace’s IT division or search round on eBay). You should purchase or make a customized enclosure that matches the room’s decor and add a small LCD display to indicate you what track is enjoying. Then throw in a wi-fi distant management, and begin streaming your favourite tunes anytime—and anyplace—you need.
_Turn the web page for directions and a listing of elements._
The best way to Construct a Wi-fi Streamer
Value: $92 | Time: 20 hours
Straightforward | | | | | Exhausting
- Salvaged PC (will need to have serial RS232 port, two USB ports, and one stereo line out jack; or, construct your personal, like our $72 PC
- Streamzap PC distant management (Amazon.com; $30.24)
- TRENDnet 54Mbps wi-fi G USB adapter (Amazon.com; $15.99)
- Serial-Enabled 20×4 LCD (SparkFun Electronics #LCD-00462; $32.95)
- RS232 shifter board package (SparkFun Electronics #PRT-00133; $6.95)
- Hookup wire (RadioShack #278-1223; $5.99)
- Perforated hardboard 2×4-feet (native bought; $2.88)
- (6) Poplar slats 2-inch x 4-feet (native bought; $8.88)
- Glide toes (native bought; $1.58)
- Wooden screws (native bought; $3.00)
- Powered audio system or audio amplifier + audio system
- Additionally, you will want short-term entry to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for organising the DIY Audio Streamer.
1 Assemble the RS232 shifter-board package, which permits the streamer PC to speak with the LCD display, and plug it into the PC’s serial port. Join the display to the board, and join the display and board to the PC’s energy provide.
2 Plug within the remote-control sensor and Wi-Fi adapter. Join audio system to the PC’s headphone jack, or join the PC to your stereo’s receiver as an audio supply. To set all the things up, quickly join a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
3 As soon as the streamer is related to your own home community, use Home windows’s “map community drive” device to show your important PC (the one with the music on it) right into a networked drive, and assign it a letter, corresponding to “M:,” so the streamer can discover it.
4 Load the Winamp and LCD Smartie software program, and set it to launch on startup. Arrange Winamp for accessing the playlists out of your important PC’s networked drive. Configure LCD Smartie in order that the LCD shows your track info (title, artist, length, observe quantity).
5 Set the distant management in order that it may be used to close down the streamer and to launch playlists. Disconnect the keyboard, mouse and monitor, and restart.