Vacuum cleaners are one of the handiest household cleaning appliances used today. Its simple yet effective design has done away with having to clean dust and other small particles off surfaces by hand, and turned house cleaning into a more efficient and fairly rapid job. Using nothing but suction, the vacuum whisks away dirt and stores it for disposal.
How does a vacuum cleaner work?
The simplest way to explain how the vacuum cleaner can suck up debris is to think of it like a straw. When you take a sip of drink through a straw, the action of sucking creates a negative air pressure inside the straw: a pressure that is lower than that of the surrounding atmosphere. Just like in space films, where a breach in the spaceship’s hull sucks people into space, a vacuum cleaner creates a negative pressure inside, which causes a flow of air into it.
Vacuum cleaners uses an electric motor that spins a fan, sucking in air – and any small particles caught up in it – and pushing it out the other side, into a bag or a canister, to create the negative pressure. You might think then that after a few seconds it would stop working, since you can only force so much air into a confined space. To solve this, the vacuum has an exhaust port that vents the air out the other side, allowing the motor to continue functioning normally.
The air, however, does not just pass through and get ejected out the other side. It would be very harmful to people using the vacuum. Why? Well, on top of the dirt and grime that a vacuum picks up, it also collects very fine particles that are almost invisible to the eye. If they are inhaled in large enough quantities, they can cause damage to the lungs. Since not all of these particles are trapped by the bag or canister, the vacuum cleaner passes the air through at least one fine filter and often a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arresting) filter to remove almost all of the dust. Only now is the air safe to be breathed again.
The power of vacuum cleaners is determined not just by the power of its motor, but also the size of the intake port, the part that sucks up the dirt. The smaller the size of the intake, the more suction power is generated, as squeezing the same amount of air through a narrower passage means that the air must move faster. This is the reason that vacuum cleaner attachments with narrow, small entry ports seem to have a much higher suction than a larger one.
There are many different types of vacuum cleaner, but all of them work on the same principle of creating negative pressure using a fan, trapping the sucked-up dirt, cleaning the exhaust air and then releasing it. The world would be a much dirtier place without them.
Top 5 best Vacuum cleaners of 2021
When buying a new vacuum, it’s critical to hone in on what you want—and don’t want. Vacuuming power, portability and affordability all matter, of course. You’ll also want to make sure your vacuum is ideal for the type of floors you have—some work well on hardwood, while others are strictly for carpet.
Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M Powered Lift-Away AZ1002 Vacuum Cleaner
If you prefer bagless vacuums, but still want a model that filters out tiny particles, the Shark APEX is a great option.
About this product
- Shark APEX: featuring DuoClean, Powered Lift-Away, and self-cleaning brushroll technologies.
- DuoClean Technology: Dual brushroll system deep-cleans carpets and directly engages floors for a polished look.
- Self-Cleaning Brushroll Technology: The vacuum that deep-cleans now cleans itself. The self-cleaning brushroll delivers nonstop hair removal.
- Powered-Lift Away: the pod detaches to extend the reach of the cleaner head, including under furniture.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology: with a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
- Noise Reduction Technology: Expertly tuned to reduce noise and soften pitch.
- Active-Glide Technology: Smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction.
- LED Headlights: Spot hidden debris.
- Fingertip Controls: allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode.
- What’s Included: Apex Upright Vacuum, Crevice Tool, Upholstery Tool & Pet Power Brush.
Why choose Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M Powered Lift-Away AZ1002 Vacuum Cleaner?
- Comes with a washable HEPA filter
- Converts from an upright to a canister
- Brush roll minimizes hair hair clogging
Samsung Jet 90 Stick Cordless Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner with Removable Long Lasting Battery and 200 Air Watt Suction Power
Aesthetics matter, but we’re not just referring to the sleek chrome and modern shape of the Samsung Jet 90 Stick Cordless Stick Vacuum. It also has some noteworthy features that contributed to its design like a telescoping wand that extends reach, excellent suction performance, and a 5-layer HEPA filtration system that traps the most microscopic irritants and particles from escaping.
Samsung Jet 90 sets itself apart with a telescoping wand that not only improves reach but increases convenience for both short and tall users to work at a length that is comfortable for them. Another convenient feature is the sleek digital display that makes it easy to track how your vacuum is doing with notifications on your vacuum for power level and brush type, and it sends alerts such as airflow issues, clogs, missing filters, and more.
About this product
- DUAL CHARGING AND 60 MIN BATTERY LIFE – Use your vacuum for up to 60 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning before a recharge is needed; easily swap the battery with a spare*, plus you can charge two batteries at once with the Dual Charging Station in just 3.5 hours
- ADVANCED PERFORMANCE – Clean hardwood, tile, and carpeting thanks to the vacuum’s 200 Air Watts of intense suction power
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN – Built to go around your home with ease at a mere 6 pounds and with four length adjustments; the Jet 90 makes it easy to vacuum stairs, reach beneath sofas or appliances, clean high cabinets, window blinds and more
- TURBO ACTION BRUSH – Rotating more than 3,700 times a minute and with 180° swivel flexibility, the Turbo Action Brush cleans dust, hair, and other debris on multiple surfaces
- JET CYCLONE – Keep debris from building up on the filter with the powerful multi-cyclonic system that pushes dirt into the dustbin
Why choose Samsung Jet 90 Stick Cordless Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner with Removable Long Lasting Battery and 200 Air Watt Suction Power?
- Charges in a convenient stand
- Includes a fluffy roller attachment for wood floors
- Easy to use and empty
Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
The Dyson V11 Animal is a cordless stick/handheld vacuum. It has a great overall performance on most surface types, from bare floors to high-pile carpets. If you use it as a handheld vacuum with its lowest power setting, the battery provides over an hour of continuous use, great if you’re vacuuming your car or another far-off place. However, it feels heavy in your hand when you use it as a stick vacuum. It’s made of plastic that doesn’t feel extremely sturdy and its dirt compartment is on the small side. Fortunately, it incurs virtually no recurring costs and is fairly easy to maintain.
About this product
- Dyson’s most intelligent, powerful cordless vacuum. Twice the suction of any cordless vacuum.
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home – Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Engineered for whole-home, deep cleaning. Suction power, run time and tools designed to deep clean your whole home.
- Intelligently optimizes suction and run time across all floor types. The right balance of power and run time when you need it.
- Up to 60 minutes of run time. Engineered for larger homes with pets. Actual run time will vary based on power mode, floor type and/or attachments used.
- High Torque cleaner head. Automatically adapts suction and power to deep clean different floor types without changing cleaner heads.
- Advanced whole-machine filtration. Advanced whole-machine filtration traps 99.99% of particles, dust and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 4 Dyson engineered tools for versatile whole-home and car cleaning. Including the mini-motorized tool for removing pet hair from upholstery and tight spaces.
- Converts to a handheld for cleaning cars, stairs and upholstery.
- In the box: torque drive head, mini-motorized tool, crevice tool, stubborn dirt brush, combination tool, wand storage clip, docking station, & charger.
Why choose Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner?
- Extra large brush head and dust cup
- Automatically adjusts speed and suction
Worx WX030L 20V Power Share Cordless Cube Vac Compact Vacuum
Stop driving with crumbs in your car, suck up all the debris on your chair at work, have the cleanest kitchen, ever. The Worx 20V Cordless Portable Vacuum Cleaner is a whole lot of suction in a little package, that’s easy to store in your trunk or under the sink. The crevice-cleaning nozzle attachment gets into all those nooks you’ve been ignoring. The brush attachment is great for home furniture, car seats, desk chairs, or anything else you can think of. The high-efficiency motor generates 10 kPa of suction. A full-size vacuum pulls in about 20 kPa, for comparison. Considering you can fit this vacuum in a backpack and don’t have to plug it in, that’s a lot of power. The bin empties easily with a one-touch button, and the washable triple HEPA filter keeps your air cleaner, too. On Max mode it will run approximately 10 minutes per charge, and approximately 20 minutes in Normal mode. Make your spaces cleaner, easier, with the 20V Cordless Portable Vacuum from Worx. The included 20V 2.0 Ah Max Lithium battery and charger gives you freedom from the cord and can be used on any other Worx 20V tool in the PowerShare family.
About this product
- [LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN] Easy to move, easy to store, easy to vacuum in tight spaces, the ultimate in convenient cleaning
- [ATTACHMENTS] Comes with a crevice nozzle and a brush, perfect for getting crumbs out of dashboards or lint off of furniture
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [STRONG SUCTION] 10 kPa is a lot of power for its weight class this tool might be small, but it’s mighty
- [EASY EMPTY] One-touch, no fuss button when the container is full and the washable triple HEPA filter keeps the dirt from cycling back into the air
- [RETRACTABLE HOSE] Or expandable, depending how you look at, it increases your effective cleaning radius
- [INCLUDES] 20V Cordless Portable Vacuum, 2.0Ah 20V Battery, 2A Charger, Flexible Crevice Nozzle, Brush Attachment
Why choose Worx WX030L 20V Power Share Cordless Cube Vac Compact Vacuum?
- Rinsable HEPA filter
- Three-year warranty
Bissell Cordless Vacuum
Bissell is a household name when it comes to the best vacuums, and with good reason. Known for their reliability and longevity, owner satisfaction is high. The Bissell ICONpet model is a clear winner when it comes to the best vacuums for pet hair. Powerful suction traps pet hair and dander, notably great for those with allergies. While it didn’t live up to my expectations on the carpet, this cordless vacuum is perfect for hardwood and area rugs.
About this product
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Lightweight & Compact. This cordless powerhouse weighs less than 8 pounds and has a collapsible handle for easy storage.
- Powerful Multi-Surface Cleaning. Innovative power foot design and multi-surface brush roll delivers high performance cleaning on hard floors and carpets.
- Cordless Cleaning Power. Removable Lithium-Ion battery provides 40 minutes of fade-free power and cordless convenience.
- Maximized Maneuverability. Move under and around furniture easily with swivel steering and a lay flat handle.
- Easy Empty Dirt Bin. Removable dirt bin with built-in Easy Empty slider pushes out debris, hair and dirt for a mess-free empty.
- LED Lights. Bright, wide range LED lights illuminate fine dirt and debris on hard floors for effective cleaning.
- AirRam is a trademark of Grey Technology Limited.
Why choose Bissell Cordless Vacuum, 1984, Green Air Ram?
- Slim design
- Easy to maneuver
- Stands upright for storage